San Diego Hand Specialist
8008 Frost Street
San Diego, CA 92123
– 2003-2004- CONNECTICUT COMBINED HAND SURGERY FELLOWSHIP
Hand Fellowship under direction of H. Kirk Watson with rotations at Hartford Hospital, Connecticut Children’s Medical Center and University of Connecticut Health Center.
– 1998-2003- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, SAN FRANCISCO
Categorical General Surgical Resident, Department of General Surgery. Chief Resident 2002-2003. Julius R. Krevans Award for Clinical Excellence recipient (1998-1999).
– 1994-1998- HARVARD MEDICAL SCHOOL, BOSTON, MA
Doctor of Medicine, cum laude with honors in the field of health policy.
– 1990-1994- STANFORD UNIVERSITY, PALO ALTO, CA
Phi Beta Kappa
B.S., Biological Sciences, with Distinction
B.A., Public Policy, with Departmental Honors and Distinction Senior Thesis: “The Impact of Health Care Reform on
Medical Education: The Generalist- Specialist Debate.”
– 1986-1990- ESPERANZA HIGH SCHOOL, ANAHEIM, CA
National Honors Society
Varsity Track and Field; Cross-Country, 1986-1990. Team captain, cross-country, 1988-1990.
– California- License Number A70670
– Connecticut – License Number 041406
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND EXPERIENCE
– 1998-2003 – UCSF, Residency Curriculum Review Committee, Class Representative
– Spring 1998 – Harvard Medical School, Office of Information Technology, Analyst
Facilitated meetings and provided background research for an initiative to apply information technology throughout the medical center and hospital affiliates.
– 1996-1998 – Harvard College, Dudley House Premedical Committee Chair and Resident Tutor
– 1995-1996 – Harvard Medical School, Department of Health Care Policy, Research Associate Coauthored manuscript, “Universal Disclosure of Cost-Containment Methods in Managed Care: A Review and Proposal,” presented at Soma Weiss Research Symposium.
– 1995-1998 – Massachusetts Medical Society, Committee on Medical Services, Representative
Sole medical student representative elected for state-level committee responsible for advising MMS on issues related to quality, cost, delivery and access to care.
– Summer 1994 – National Academy of Science, Institute of Medicine, Health Science Policy Division Developed analytic framework for Intellectual Property, Technology Transfer and Conflict-of-Interest in Molecular Biology Committee.
– Fall 1993 – Executive Office of the President, Office of Management and Budget, Health Division, Health Programs and Services Branch Investigated federal options in addressing liability concerns for preventative AIDS vaccines; analyzed materials for health programs for FY95 budget; developed methodology to estimate the administrative costs of health care reform.
– Summer 1993 – Journal of the American Medical Association, Scientific Publications Group Reviewed and presented manuscripts at editorial board meetings.
AWARDS AND FUNDING
– 2001-2002 – Aesthetic Surgery Education and Research Foundation grant recipient: “Cost, Outcome and Patient Satisfaction with Breast Reconstruction after Mastectomy.”
– 1998- American Society of Transplantation Surgeons (ASTS) Young Investigator Award
– 1995- Office of Enrichment Programs Research Grant recipient, Harvard Medical School
– 1993- Undergraduate Research Opportunities Major Grant recipient, Stanford University
PUBLICATIONS (maiden name Julie R. Gilbert)
– Gilbert JR. Williams ES. Lundberg GD. “Is There Gender Bias in JAMA’s Peer Review Process?” JAMA. 1994; 272:139-143.
– Gilbert JR. Pascual M. Schoenfeld DA. Rubin RH. Delmonico FL. Cosimi AM. “Evolving Trends in Liver Transplantation: An Outcome and Charge Analysis.” Transplantation. 1999; 67:246-253.
– Gilbert JR. Williams ES. Lundberg GD. “Is There Gender Bias in JAMA’s Peer Review Process?” Second International Congress on Peer Review in Biomedical Publication; Chicago Illinois: September 11, 1993.
– Gilbert JR. Clinical research panelist for “Barriers and Opportunities Facing Young Investigators” Workshop. Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Science; Washington, DC: April 1996.
– Gilbert JR. Pascual M. Schoenfeld DA. Rubin RH. Delmonico FL. Cosimi AM. “Evolving Trends in Liver Transplantation: An Outcome and Charge Analysis.” 24th Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Society of Transplant Surgeons; Chicago, Illinois: May 13, 1998.
– Vasisht B. Watson HK. Wear-Maggitti K. Ohayon J. “Triquetral Impingement Ligament Teat (TILT) Syndrome After SLAC Reconstruction” (Poster). American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH Meeting); Chicago, Illinois: September 2003.
– Ohayon JR. Watson HK. Pultsides G. Wear-Maggitti K. Wollstein R. “Wrist Range of Motion: A Diagnostic Tool in Early KienbÖck’s Disease.” New England Hand Society Meeting; Sturbridge, MA: December 5, 2003.
AFFILIATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
– Western Orthopedic Association
– Western Orthopedic Association San Diego Chapter
– American College of Surgeons Professional Association
– American Society for Surgery of the Hand
– San Diego County Medical Society
– California Society of Industrial Medicine and Surgeons
– Sharp Coronado Hospital
– Sharp Memorial Hospital
– Sharp Grossmont Hospital
– Scripps Mercy Hospital San Diego
– San Diego Outpatient Surgery Center